Montréal's clay tobacco pipe industry was a 19th century phenomenon. The first known maker is a William Henderson who is listed in 1846 as a pipe maker at 19 Colborne Ave. William Henderson established what was to become the largest of the Montréal firms.
The industry florished until the early 1890's when the the briar pipe and the cigarette began to make inroads as an alternative smoking medium. The last Montréal firm Bannerman Brothers closed its doors in 1902.
Return to Canadian Clay Pipe Home Page